WVSOM has outstanding academic personnel to design, administer, and teach all phases of our curriculum.
As of August 2012, WVSOM's full-time faculty includes:
24 full-time, tenured or tenure-track faculty in the Department of Biomedical Sciences, 23 of whom possess a Ph.D. These include faculty in all the major basic biomedical sciences, including Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Immunology, and Pharmacology.
27 full-time, tenured or tenure-track and one 0.4 FTE faculty members in the Department of Clinical Sciences. These include:
- D.O.s and M.D.s, who are board certified in Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Pathology, and Radiology
- Two clinical psychologists
- A family nurse practitioner with a Ph.D.
- Two Ph.D. specialists in medical education and program development
One Ph.D. physiologist
- Six faculty members (all D.O.s) in the Department of Osteopathic Principles and Practice.
- 11 faculty (Ph.D. or D.O.) with full-time academic administrative appointments.
In addition, as of August 2014, our faculty included:
- Six clinical adjunct instructors who assist in Osteopathic Principles and Practice labs,
- 46 visiting lecturers who provide occasional lectures in Years 1 and 2 of the curriculum,
- 46 instructors for Clinical Skills labs,
- 34 off-campus preceptors for Clinical Skills labs
- 364 adjunct clinical faculty for Year 3 and Year 4 clinical rotations
- 10 Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs); and
- approximately 2,000 preceptors who accept students for elective clinical rotations.