WVSOM has outstanding academic personnel to design, administer, and teach all phases of our curriculum.
As of January 2014, WVSOM's full-time faculty includes:
23* full-time, tenured, tenure-track or non-tenured faculty in the Department of Biomedical Sciences. All possess a Ph.D. with the exception of one M.D. and one full-time non-tenure-track member at the level of instructor. These include faculty in all the major basic biomedical sciences, including Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Immunology and Pharmacology.
36* tenured, tenure-track or non-tenured faculty members in the Department of Clinical Sciences, 33 of which are full-time and 3 of which are part-time. These are comprised of D.O.s and M.D.s who have board certification in their area of expertise. This department also includes several Ph.D.s, a Psy.D., and a master-level faculty member. These faculty members provide expertise in the areas of educational psychology, clinical psychology, medical education, medical informatics, continuous quality improvement and program development.
- 7* tenured or tenure-track faculty members (all D.O.s) who are Board Certified in OMM (Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine), NMM (Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine), Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, and/or Family Medicine/OMT. These faculty teach in the Department of Osteopathic Principles and Practice.
*Administrators with faculty appointments are included in these numbers. However, a majority of the faculty participate in the delivery of the curriculum.
In addition, for the 2013/2014 academic year, our faculty included:
- 10 clinical adjunct instructors who assist in Osteopathic Principles and Practice labs,
- 14 visiting lecturers who provide occasional lectures in Years 1 and 2 of the curriculum,
- 22 instructors for Clinical Skills labs,
- 21 off-campus preceptors for Clinical Skills labs
- 164 adjunct clinical faculty for Year 3 and Year 4 clinical rotations
- 10 Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs); and
- approximately 2,000 preceptors who accept students for elective clinical rotations.