WVSOM’s email services are handled in the cloud by the Microsoft Office 365 platform at www.outlook.com/osteo.wvsom.edu. The email services require logging on via an Internet browser or a local setup to the Outlook application to download messages to the PC. To log in select Campus Email from the main web site, use your WVSOM user name. Enter your normal WVSOM password within the password field.
Each user account will allow 25 gigabytes of email storage. User network and email accounts are assigned to incoming students once the second confirmation deposit is made to WVSOM. User accounts for employees are created once the hire notification has been sent by the Human Resources Department. The accounts are created and passwords will sync from an Active Directory database to the user’s email account. Users should never change the passwords from within the Outlook application. Passwords should only be changed via the Information Technology link at https://my.wvsom.edu/Scripts/dompass.exe. All official WVSOM email will be sent to the Outlook account to which the user has been assigned. Users do have the option to forward mail from the WVSOM account to any valid email account with another Internet Service Provider (i.e., Hotmail, Yahoo).
Office 365 does perform spam and phishing filtering. Characteristics of each email message are reviewed at the Outlook gateway to determine legitimacy. An email that has a high rating is deleted, mid-level ratings are sent to the junk mail folder, and valid emails will be placed in the user’s inbox. Only specific accounts have been given authority to send out mass emails (Admissions for example). Unless a user has received specific authority to send mass emails from the Information Technology Department, mass emails should not be sent and may be rejected for delivery by Outlook. The Office 365 services have placed a maximum of 500 recipients in any one email. Users should use group lists to avoid this limitation only when necessary. Mail merge is limited to sending 30 messages per minute.
Users should understand that there is no right of privacy in email communications or in the monitoring of traffic to accounts. Accounts may be monitored when traffic interferes or presents breakdowns for appropriate functions.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding user accounts and passwords.
- Notify the IT Department if any breach of security has occurred.
- Each email session should be ended when complete so that accounts cannot be compromised.
- Complaints regarding email must be made in writing, signed, and submitted to the Information Technology Department.
- Email is subject to discovery and production in civil litigation.
- All email is the sole responsibility of the person which originated the content—not WVSOM.
- Users should never use WVSOM email services for non-sanctioned or non-mission related activities. Email should never be sent for commercial or personal gain.
- Forwarding of email chain letters is prohibited. Promises of fame, fortune, or donations to specific causes are generally untrue. These activities are a waste of IT resources, a nuisance to recipients, and can offend others.
- Email should never be sent to impersonate another individual or entity as the originator. Email identifiers (i.e., headers) should never be manipulated to disguise its origin.
- Email content should never be harmful or unlawful, stalk, or harass.
- Emails should not collect or store personal data about other users.
- Email content should not infringe on any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any party.
- Do not execute or open attachments that appear questionable. Contact the IT Department if you are unsure about an email and/or its attachment’s legitimacy.
- Avoid mass emails, users should use group lists when necessary.
- Refrain from any activity that would cause disruption to email services and network connectivity.
- Follow all state, federal, national, and international laws relating to email accounts and services.
Additional documentation for the Office 365 service can be found at http://help.outlook.com. Here are additional topics relating to email:
- Configuring an Outlook acount on an iPad http://www.wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/u224/Outlook_Configuring_an_Apple_iPad.pdf
- Deleting an Outlook account from an iPad http://www.wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/u224/Apple_iPad_Deleting_an_Outlook_Account.pdf
- Email Setup Help Wizard http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd936216.asp
- How to access Office 365 using other mail clients http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc875899.aspx
- How to configure an iPhone http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd125429.aspx
- How to configure Outlook 2007 http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc511396.aspx
- How to copy messages from another mail account to your mailbox http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc511377.aspx
- How to forward messages to another account http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.learnredirectto.aspx
- How to select the correct time zone if the initial value is incorrect http://help.outlook.com/en-us/141/ms.exch.ecp.regionalsettings.aspx
- Message, Mailbox, and Recipient limits http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd630704.aspx
- Microsoft's Mobile Phone Setup Wizard http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd936215.aspx